ORGANIZING FAVOURITES: 18 WAYS TO ORGANIZE WITH TENSION RODS
It’s hard to believe it’s the last Thursday of August already (where did the summer go?). But it does mean it’s time for the second installment of my Organizing Favourites series. If you missed the first post on 25 ways to organize with Command Hooks check it out here. This week, the spotlight is on tension rods, which are for so much more than hanging curtains!
Organizing Favourite: Tension Rods
Just like the Command Hook, the tension rod is a versatile, budget-friendly organizing product which is why it is one of my favourites! Before highlighting 18 ways to organize with tension rods, let’s quickly review why they are so great for organizing.
5 Reasons Tension Rods Are Amazing Organizing Tools
- Tension rods come in all different sizes, finishes and strengths, so you won’t have a problem finding one to suit your functional and aesthetic needs. Whether you need a small, 8-inch one in basic white or a large, 120-inch sturdy one in copper, there is a tension rod out there for you.
- Tension rods are ridiculously quick and easy to use. No tools required, just twist until the rod is your desired length and tighten into place with a little more twisting. And if you didn’t get the rod exactly where you wanted, just untwist and try again without fear your mistakes will cause damage to the surface. This makes tension rods ideal for organizing because they can easily adjust to your changing needs.
- Speaking of adjusting, the adjustable feature of tension rods is another reason they are so great and versatile. Twist them until they are the exact size you need and you have a custom fit, without the custom price tag!
- Which leads to the next point: tension rods are budget-friendly! Prices vary depending on size and finishes, but you can hop on Amazon and find a 6 pack of white tension rods that extend to 28 inches for $21.99, just over $3.50 each (Cdn). And as we will see, that size works perfectly for organizing projects.
- The last reason tension rods are amazing is they are super easy to find at your nearest home store and online.
18 Ways To Organize With Tension Rods
Now that we know what makes tension rods amazing, lets discover 18 clever, easy ways to use them to organize your house. In the kitchen, you can use tension rods to vertically store pot lids.
And casserole dishes.
And cutting boards.
And cooking sheets.
You not only maximize space but also put an end to the loud clanging and annoying shuffling every time you need an item that’s not on top.
If you are short on cupboard space for your spices, use a tension rod to make a shelf for extra storage.
Use tension rods as drawer dividers to keep all your Tupperware and lids in place.
Place a tension rod in a drawer (or cupboard) and you have accessible hidden paper towel storage.
Create more storage above your sink by using a tension rod.
Place a tension rod across the top of the under-sink cupboard and store your cleaning spray bottles there.
Moving out of the kitchen and into the bathroom, create more shower storage by using the clever combination of a tension rod and “S” hooks.
Or go straight up by using a free-standing shower caddy which is just a big tension rod!
Take advantage of the little nooks that are usually wasted space by using tension rods to create clever shoe storage.
Or scarf storage.
Or a place to store your gift wrap.
Use the tension rod/”S” hook combo to create jewelry storage and display.
In a bookcase, tension rods can be used to create hidden storage.
Or to organize doll clothes.
Tension rods are a crafter’s best friend, providing ideal ribbon and washi tape storage and access.
And the final way to use a tension rod I am going to share is for holiday decorating. It’s not exactly organizing, but I love all things Christmas (like, really, really LOVE) and I just discovered this amazing tension rod idea I’m super excited to try.
Of course, you can use it for any type of holiday decorating. Can’t you just see cute little Easter bunnies or Valentine’s hearts hanging? You get the idea!
I hope I have helped you discover some new ways you can organize with the versatile, easy-to-use and affordable tension rod. I’d love to hear your favourite way to organize with tension rods, so please let me know in the comments below. If you want to discover other cost-efficient organizing ideas click here to read my post on 10 organizing products under $20.00. Remember to look out for next month’s installment on … shoe pockets! And if you like this post, please share it!