20 Things to Pack and Move Yourself
You researched movers (click here for a list of questions to ask potential movers), got multiple quotes and chose a reputable company for your move. While there is no doubt care will be taken with your possessions, you should still pack the following 20 items yourself and transport them with you on moving day. Doing this will reduce moving stress, and make the first 24 hours in your new home easier and more comfortable.
Items that are Irreplaceable or Important
These are items you can’t replace or are difficult/expensive to replace.
1. Valuables such as jewelry, cameras, laptops, tablets etc.
2. Irreplaceable or important documents such as passports, birth and marriage certificates, wills, medical records, financial documents and family photos.
3. All documents and contracts related to your move.
4. Medications and medical devices.
Items you will Want Immediately in your New House
These are items you will need right away upon arrival at your new home and won’t want to spend time looking for.
5. Toilet paper.
6. Hand soap.
7. Garbage bags.
8. Cleaning supplies (minimally Clorox wipes).
9. Paper towels.
Items to make the First 24 Hours in your New Home Better
These are items that will make the first 24 hours in your new home easier and more comfortable. Moving days are long and exhausting, the last thing you want to be doing at the end of one is searching for dishes so you can eat or clean towels so you can wash up before getting some much-needed rest.
10. An overnight bag for each family member with toiletries, p.j.s, and a change of clothes.
11. For young children, their sound machine, favourite stuffie and blanket, night light, a few favourite toys and books to make them more comfortable in their new room.
12. Plastic plates and cutlery.
13. Easy, quick snacks and drinks for you (and your movers).
14. One pot, one pan, one cookie sheet.
15. Coffee pot and mugs (and coffee).
16. Shower curtain and liner.
17. Clean towels for each family member.
18. If you can, clean sheets for each bed.
19. Chargers for your devices.
20. Wine opener (so you can relax after a long moving day).
Some things in the moving process are just out of your control (like a moving truck being delayed for hours because of bad traffic). But, if you pack and move the above items yourself, I promise your move and the first 24 hours in your new home will be easier and less stressful, regardless of whatever else happens!
Moving with kids? Check out this post for 15 tips to make moving with kids easier. If you’re planning to do all the packing on your own, checkout this great in-depth guide from North American Van Lines.
Is there anything not on this list that you always pack and move with you? Let me know in the comments below. And for a free printable one-page summary of these items, click here. If you like this post, please share it!